As we all know, the humble chickpea is a protein powerhouse for vegan humans. But did you know it can also be a key ingredient for vegan kitties? With the proper oils and supplementation, you can use a batch of home-cooked (or canned) chickpeas to whip up a batch of wet food for your furry friend. Bonus zero-waste points if you buy your chickpeas dry in bulk!
If using dry chickpeas: Soak overnight in water until the beans double in size. Change water as necessary to prevent fermentation, every 6-8 hours ideally. The water level should rise a few inches over the beans to allow for expansion. Cover the soaking dish with a clean towel. If you’re in a hurry, boil the legumes for 5 minutes, then allow to sit in the hot water for an hour. Change the water before cooking.
We recommend cooking the legumes with a potato or piece of kombu seaweed to increase digestibility. A crock pot is the most convenient way to prep dry beans. It does all the work on its own—no supervision needed!
This recipe contains 35.5% protein, 10.5% fat and 0.18% magnesium.
- 1-1⁄4 cup (335 g/326 ml) unsalted canned chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, OR 1-1⁄2 cups (240 g/356 ml) home-cooked chickpeas, which requires 1⁄2 cup dry beans
- 3⁄4 cup (85 g) textured soy protein
- 1⁄4 cup (45 g) Nutri-Yeast
- 3⁄4 tbsp (11 ml) canola oil
- 1⁄4 tsp (1.2 ml) flaxseed oil
- 1⁄4 tsp (1 g) salt OR 1-1⁄5 tsp (6 ml) soy sauce
- 5 tsp (16 g) VegeCat™ supplement
- Drain water from the soaked beans.
- Cover with fresh water and simmer covered for 60 to 90 minutes, until soft.
- Drain thoroughly and crush warm beans with a potato masher, fork or food processor.
- Reconstitute TVP with just under 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Combine chickpeas and TVP with all other ingredients.
- Optionally, add Prozyme enzyme supplement.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container or freeze individual portions.
If you choose to freeze this recipe, we recommend you use silicone ice cube trays (order with us!) and pop out 1 to 3 cubes for serving. Just thaw each portion 20 minutes or microwave 10 seconds, top with Nutri-Yeast or Green Mush, et voilà!
thats great!! Make sure they have a source of Arachidonic Acid, very important for growth.
Αγαπώ γατούλες,έχουμε και σκυλάκια..! Ευχαριστώ
Καλημέρα σας.. Είμαι από Ελλάδα.. Έχω και γατούλες που φροντίζω..!